Drug smuggling rising along India-Myanmar border
Aizawl: Smuggling of narcotics and other drugs has been increasing along the unfenced India-Myanmar border, Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla said here on Saturday.
"To tackle the menace of drug trafficking, smuggling of other goods and infiltration, the central government must fence the entire India-Myanmar border and tighten security," he told TKA Nair, advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
An official statement said: "The Chief Minister told Nair that after ensuring security, border trade, business and various other economic activity must be initiated between Myanmar and India. Then illegal activity will be curved automatically."
Ahead of the Prime Minister`s visit to Myanmar, Nair accompanied by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) Director General Lt Gen Ravi Shankar had visited Myanmar`s border with Manipur and Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back