Drug smuggling rising along India-Myanmar border
Aizawl: Smuggling of narcotics and other drugs has been increasing along the unfenced India-Myanmar border, Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla said here on Saturday.
"To tackle the menace of drug trafficking, smuggling of other goods and infiltration, the central government must fence the entire India-Myanmar border and tighten security," he told TKA Nair, advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
An official statement said: "The Chief Minister told Nair that after ensuring security, border trade, business and various other economic activity must be initiated between Myanmar and India. Then illegal activity will be curved automatically."
Ahead of the Prime Minister`s visit to Myanmar, Nair accompanied by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) Director General Lt Gen Ravi Shankar had visited Myanmar`s border with Manipur and Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh