Drug smuggling rising along India-Myanmar border
Aizawl: Smuggling of narcotics and other drugs has been increasing along the unfenced India-Myanmar border, Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla said here on Saturday.
"To tackle the menace of drug trafficking, smuggling of other goods and infiltration, the central government must fence the entire India-Myanmar border and tighten security," he told TKA Nair, advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
An official statement said: "The Chief Minister told Nair that after ensuring security, border trade, business and various other economic activity must be initiated between Myanmar and India. Then illegal activity will be curved automatically."
Ahead of the Prime Minister`s visit to Myanmar, Nair accompanied by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) Director General Lt Gen Ravi Shankar had visited Myanmar`s border with Manipur and Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32