Drug smuggling rising along India-Myanmar border
Aizawl: Smuggling of narcotics and other drugs has been increasing along the unfenced India-Myanmar border, Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla said here on Saturday.
"To tackle the menace of drug trafficking, smuggling of other goods and infiltration, the central government must fence the entire India-Myanmar border and tighten security," he told TKA Nair, advisor to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
An official statement said: "The Chief Minister told Nair that after ensuring security, border trade, business and various other economic activity must be initiated between Myanmar and India. Then illegal activity will be curved automatically."
Ahead of the Prime Minister`s visit to Myanmar, Nair accompanied by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) Director General Lt Gen Ravi Shankar had visited Myanmar`s border with Manipur and Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic