`Drunk` headmaster canes students, injures eight
Lakhimpur (Assam): Eight class VII
students of an English medium school here were injured when
they were allegedly caned by their principal, who was in an
Sandeswar Miri Barua of Gurudeb Madhaymik English
School at Narayanpur Bordeuri village came to school drunk,
District Elementary Education Officer Loknath Sarma said.
He caned eight of the boys injuring them, including
three seriously, Sarma said, adding Barua had been suspended
in the past for going to school drunk.
All the students were admitted to the local public
Their parents filed an FIR in the Narayanpur police
station against Barua, police said.
"No leniency will be shown towards the headmaster and
he will be discharged from service. There is a Supreme Court
order against corporal punishment in schools," Sarma said.
The recently-enacted Right To Education Act says there
should not be any type of corporal punishment in schools and
any case of violation will be tried by the National Commission
for Protection of Child Rights.
The incident comes a week after a class seven student
of a private school at Mirza in Kamrup (Rural) district died
after he was allegedly beaten up by the principal and computer
teacher for not doing his homework.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had ordered a magisterial
investigation into the 12-year-old Mausam Raj Mahanta`s death.
The principal and the computer teacher are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow