`Drunk` headmaster canes students, injures eight
Lakhimpur (Assam): Eight class VII
students of an English medium school here were injured when
they were allegedly caned by their principal, who was in an
Sandeswar Miri Barua of Gurudeb Madhaymik English
School at Narayanpur Bordeuri village came to school drunk,
District Elementary Education Officer Loknath Sarma said.
He caned eight of the boys injuring them, including
three seriously, Sarma said, adding Barua had been suspended
in the past for going to school drunk.
All the students were admitted to the local public
Their parents filed an FIR in the Narayanpur police
station against Barua, police said.
"No leniency will be shown towards the headmaster and
he will be discharged from service. There is a Supreme Court
order against corporal punishment in schools," Sarma said.
The recently-enacted Right To Education Act says there
should not be any type of corporal punishment in schools and
any case of violation will be tried by the National Commission
for Protection of Child Rights.
The incident comes a week after a class seven student
of a private school at Mirza in Kamrup (Rural) district died
after he was allegedly beaten up by the principal and computer
teacher for not doing his homework.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had ordered a magisterial
investigation into the 12-year-old Mausam Raj Mahanta`s death.
The principal and the computer teacher are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Sheena murder case: Indrani, Sanjeev, driver interrogated together
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them