`Drunk` headmaster canes students, injures eight
Lakhimpur (Assam): Eight class VII
students of an English medium school here were injured when
they were allegedly caned by their principal, who was in an
Sandeswar Miri Barua of Gurudeb Madhaymik English
School at Narayanpur Bordeuri village came to school drunk,
District Elementary Education Officer Loknath Sarma said.
He caned eight of the boys injuring them, including
three seriously, Sarma said, adding Barua had been suspended
in the past for going to school drunk.
All the students were admitted to the local public
Their parents filed an FIR in the Narayanpur police
station against Barua, police said.
"No leniency will be shown towards the headmaster and
he will be discharged from service. There is a Supreme Court
order against corporal punishment in schools," Sarma said.
The recently-enacted Right To Education Act says there
should not be any type of corporal punishment in schools and
any case of violation will be tried by the National Commission
for Protection of Child Rights.
The incident comes a week after a class seven student
of a private school at Mirza in Kamrup (Rural) district died
after he was allegedly beaten up by the principal and computer
teacher for not doing his homework.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had ordered a magisterial
investigation into the 12-year-old Mausam Raj Mahanta`s death.
The principal and the computer teacher are absconding.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'