EC allots symbols of candidates, PA Sangma gets book
Shillong: The Election Commission today allotted symbols to candidates contesting in the two Lok Sabha constituencies in Meghalaya, officials said.
Apart from the regular symbols allotted to recognised political parties like the Congress, BJP and CPI, the EC allotted symbols to the United Democratic Party (UDP), a recognised regional party and three Independent candidates, they said.
UDP candidate Paul Lyngdoh was allotted the drum symbol, while the Aam Admi Party candidate was allotted the broom, its usual party symbol.
Three independent candidates Denis Siangshai, Ivory Shylla and P B M Basaiawmoit were allotted a basket containing fruits, television and candles respectively.
The NPP chief P A Sangma who is pitted for a one-to-one battle against Congress candidate Daryl for the Garo Hills seat was awarded the book as its symbol, election department officials said.
Sitting Congress MP from Shillong seat, Vincent H Pala is defending his seat against seven other contenders including BJP candidate S Lyngdoh, CPI candidate R D Shabong and AAP`s A Kharshiing.
Meghalaya goes to the polls on April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack