EC allots symbols of candidates, PA Sangma gets book
Shillong: The Election Commission today allotted symbols to candidates contesting in the two Lok Sabha constituencies in Meghalaya, officials said.
Apart from the regular symbols allotted to recognised political parties like the Congress, BJP and CPI, the EC allotted symbols to the United Democratic Party (UDP), a recognised regional party and three Independent candidates, they said.
UDP candidate Paul Lyngdoh was allotted the drum symbol, while the Aam Admi Party candidate was allotted the broom, its usual party symbol.
Three independent candidates Denis Siangshai, Ivory Shylla and P B M Basaiawmoit were allotted a basket containing fruits, television and candles respectively.
The NPP chief P A Sangma who is pitted for a one-to-one battle against Congress candidate Daryl for the Garo Hills seat was awarded the book as its symbol, election department officials said.
Sitting Congress MP from Shillong seat, Vincent H Pala is defending his seat against seven other contenders including BJP candidate S Lyngdoh, CPI candidate R D Shabong and AAP`s A Kharshiing.
Meghalaya goes to the polls on April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened