EC allots symbols of candidates, PA Sangma gets book
Shillong: The Election Commission today allotted symbols to candidates contesting in the two Lok Sabha constituencies in Meghalaya, officials said.
Apart from the regular symbols allotted to recognised political parties like the Congress, BJP and CPI, the EC allotted symbols to the United Democratic Party (UDP), a recognised regional party and three Independent candidates, they said.
UDP candidate Paul Lyngdoh was allotted the drum symbol, while the Aam Admi Party candidate was allotted the broom, its usual party symbol.
Three independent candidates Denis Siangshai, Ivory Shylla and P B M Basaiawmoit were allotted a basket containing fruits, television and candles respectively.
The NPP chief P A Sangma who is pitted for a one-to-one battle against Congress candidate Daryl for the Garo Hills seat was awarded the book as its symbol, election department officials said.
Sitting Congress MP from Shillong seat, Vincent H Pala is defending his seat against seven other contenders including BJP candidate S Lyngdoh, CPI candidate R D Shabong and AAP`s A Kharshiing.
Meghalaya goes to the polls on April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'