EC derecognises oldest regional party of Manipur
Imphal: The Election Commission has derecognised the oldest regional political party, Manipur People`s Party (MPP).
MPP sources said the main reason for derecognition of the party, which had ruled the state for more than two terms, was that none of its candidate had won the last state Assembly election in 2012 and Lok Sabha election in 2009.
Manipur state election office said copy of the EC order derecognising the MPP has been received by the office recently.
The order was passed on March 20.
The party was established on December 26, 1968, by some dissident members of the then Indian National Congress with an aim to work for protection of territorial integrity of Manipur, build up regionalism and to protect the identity of Manipuris in view of the uninterrupted inflow of "outsiders", party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police