EC derecognises oldest regional party of Manipur
Imphal: The Election Commission has derecognised the oldest regional political party, Manipur People`s Party (MPP).
MPP sources said the main reason for derecognition of the party, which had ruled the state for more than two terms, was that none of its candidate had won the last state Assembly election in 2012 and Lok Sabha election in 2009.
Manipur state election office said copy of the EC order derecognising the MPP has been received by the office recently.
The order was passed on March 20.
The party was established on December 26, 1968, by some dissident members of the then Indian National Congress with an aim to work for protection of territorial integrity of Manipur, build up regionalism and to protect the identity of Manipuris in view of the uninterrupted inflow of "outsiders", party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details