EC instructs for VVPAT system in 10 constituencies
Aizawl: The Election Commission has instructed the Mizoram election department to use Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail System (VVPAT) system in 10 Assembly constituencies in the coming elections to the 40-member state legislature to be held on November 25.
The instruction was issued yesterday to introduce VVPAT with the electronic voting machines (EVMs) and would be used in 10 seats out of the 11 seats within Aizawl city, state Joint Chief Electoral Officer H Lalengmawia said here today.
"The constituencies where the VVPAT system would be introduced would be decided by the state election department," he said, adding that being a new equipment, the Election Commission wanted the VVPAT with EVMs to be introduced in the urban area where it would be easier to be monitored.
Earlier, the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) had expressed doubts about the reliability of the EVMs and suggested to the Election Commission that the EVMs might have been manipulated in the 2008 Assembly polls which resulted in the unprecedented victory for the Congress which bagged 32 seats.
The major opposition parties - the MNF, the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC), the Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) and the BJP state unit recently submitted a joint memorandum to the Election Commission seeking introduction of the VVPAT with EVMs.
The parties expressed the desire that the voters would be able to exercise franchise without having doubts and with transparency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Who are potential successors to RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan?
- Messi Vs Ronaldo: Should Cristiano Ronaldo too quit if Portugal fail to win Euro 2016?
- Beware! Excessive gadget use could stimulate early ageing: Doctors
- Haryana gang-rape victim sends notice to Salman Khan
- Amit Shah's dig at Akhilesh Yadav: Will Barack Obama maintain law and order in UP