EC official visits Mizoram-Tripura border
Aizawl: Director General of the Election Commission of India Ashish Srivastava Wednesday visited the Mamit district on the Mizoram-Tripura border to see how Bru voters at North Tripura relief camps would exercise their franchise in the state Assembly polls on December 4.
H Lalengmawia, state Joint Chief Electoral Officer who accompanied Srivastava, said that they would be visiting the six relief camps in the Kanchanpur Sub-Division of North Tripura district tomorrow.
Srivastava accompanied by election department officials and Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of Mamit district left Mamit town this afternoon for the relief camps.
Though the DG did not say exactly how the Brus who were enlisted in the voters list in Mizoram would vote, he hinted that postal ballot system would be used and they would cast their votes in their respective relief camps.
State home department officials today said that the proposed resumption of Bru repatriation next week was likely to be deferred due to Srivastava`s visit.
"We are most likely to postpone the repatriation of around 70 families from three relief camps as all the officials of the Mamit district administration were engaged in receiving the DG," an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown