EC officials seize Rs 4 lakh from Cong worker
Shillong: Election Commission officials today seized more than Rs four lakh in cash from a Congress worker in Meghalaya`s South West Khasi Hills district, a day before Rahul Gandhi`s scheduled visit for campaigning.
The huge cache of cash was recovered from worker, V Bansal, by flying squads from Jakrem village, located in between the capital and the district headquarters of Mawkyrwat, officials said.
"An amount of Rs 4.5 lakh was seized from the worker identified as Bansal," the South West Khasi hills district Deputy Commissioner and District Election Officer (DEO) told.
While Rs four lakh was frozen after the seizure, Rs 50,000 was handed over to Bansal, in line with the guidelines of the EC.
The District Election Officer has also directed the Congress worker to submit all papers to justify his claim that the cash was spent to meet tomorrow`s rally expenditure.
On Sunday night, police had seized Rs 13 lakh from a relative of one of the candidates, but the person`s association with any of the political parties is yet to be verified.
"The verification process is on. Any action is yet to be taken against him even as an FIR was lodged against him for violation of ECI directives with regards to carrying cash," West Khasi Hills district election officer W Kharlyngdoh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation