EC team seizes cash in poll-bound Nagaland
Kohima: An Election Commission surveillance team seized Rs 8.5 lakh in cash after it intercepted a vehicle allegedly belonging to the ruling NPF in poll-bound Nagaland, the third such recovery in the state.
The vehicle, according to sources, was intercepted yesterday in Phek district of the state by authorities which later intimated the EC-appointed observers in the state.
The vehicle, which was carrying Rs 8.5 lakh in cash, was seized while the person travelling in the vehicle released on bond, they said.
The EC-appointed team has summoned the person for interrogation today while the NPF officials would also be asked to explain if the cash was of the party or any of its candidates, they said.
Nagaland goes to poll on February 23.
The EC has deployed a special team of observers to check the use of illegal money power in the state.
In the last few days, the EC has made big seizures in the state. Nagaland Home Minister Imkong L Imchen was arrested for allegedly transporting Rs 1.10 crore in cash and arms and ammunition in a vehicle in Wokha district. He subsequently resigned from the Council of Ministers.
Another NPF candidate was apprehended with Rs one crore cash in a helicopter allegedly ferrying him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed