EC team seizes Rs one crore cash from chopper in Nagaland
Kohima: An Election Commission surveillance team on Saturday seized Rs one crore cash from a helicopter allegedly being used by a candidate of the Nagaland Peoples Front (NPF) in the poll-bound state.
A team of EC-appointed observers seized the cash from a chopper, which was allegedly hired to ferry Nyemli Phom who is contesting the Assembly polls from a constituency in Longleng district, official sources said.
The EC team has alerted the Income Tax department and police officials about the development and they have dispatched their teams for the necessary action, they said.
Sources said the candidate will be asked about the sources and utility of this huge cash and after recording the statement a decision will be taken about the cash.
The EC has issued guidelines to political parties to instruct their candidates not to carry huge cash and conduct transactions through banking channels.
Polls for the 60 Assembly seats in the state will be conducted on February 23.
The EC has appointed a team of `Expenditure Observers` in the state to keep a check on illegal money and other inducements being used for voters at the hustings.
The EC-appointed teams are also keeping a close eye on any instances of `Paid News` in the run up to the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre