EC team seizes Rs one crore cash from chopper in Nagaland
Kohima: An Election Commission surveillance team on Saturday seized Rs one crore cash from a helicopter allegedly being used by a candidate of the Nagaland Peoples Front (NPF) in the poll-bound state.
A team of EC-appointed observers seized the cash from a chopper, which was allegedly hired to ferry Nyemli Phom who is contesting the Assembly polls from a constituency in Longleng district, official sources said.
The EC team has alerted the Income Tax department and police officials about the development and they have dispatched their teams for the necessary action, they said.
Sources said the candidate will be asked about the sources and utility of this huge cash and after recording the statement a decision will be taken about the cash.
The EC has issued guidelines to political parties to instruct their candidates not to carry huge cash and conduct transactions through banking channels.
Polls for the 60 Assembly seats in the state will be conducted on February 23.
The EC has appointed a team of `Expenditure Observers` in the state to keep a check on illegal money and other inducements being used for voters at the hustings.
The EC-appointed teams are also keeping a close eye on any instances of `Paid News` in the run up to the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured