EC team seizes Rs one crore cash from chopper in Nagaland
Kohima: An Election Commission surveillance team on Saturday seized Rs one crore cash from a helicopter allegedly being used by a candidate of the Nagaland Peoples Front (NPF) in the poll-bound state.
A team of EC-appointed observers seized the cash from a chopper, which was allegedly hired to ferry Nyemli Phom who is contesting the Assembly polls from a constituency in Longleng district, official sources said.
The EC team has alerted the Income Tax department and police officials about the development and they have dispatched their teams for the necessary action, they said.
Sources said the candidate will be asked about the sources and utility of this huge cash and after recording the statement a decision will be taken about the cash.
The EC has issued guidelines to political parties to instruct their candidates not to carry huge cash and conduct transactions through banking channels.
Polls for the 60 Assembly seats in the state will be conducted on February 23.
The EC has appointed a team of `Expenditure Observers` in the state to keep a check on illegal money and other inducements being used for voters at the hustings.
The EC-appointed teams are also keeping a close eye on any instances of `Paid News` in the run up to the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials