EC to issue photo voter slips in Tripura Assembly polls
Agartala: The Election Commission would issue voter slip with photos of the voter in the election to the 60-member Tripura Assembly scheduled to be held in February to stop false voting, a top official said on Thursday.
Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi said photo voter slip would be issued to check false voting which would also act as an identity proof for the voters.
Zutshi, who held a meeting with the top brass of the state police, Thursday said intimidation of voters was a concern for the EC and if any complaint from voter was registered, it would be ensured that he could vote fearlessly.
Additional Director General of Police (ADG), Kuldip Kumar and IG (Law and order), Rajib Singh were present in the meeting with the Deputy EC.
He said, "The security forces are adequate and overall law and order is also good in the state, so security and smooth conduct of elections would not be a problem in the state".
The 856 km border with Bangladesh would be sealed during elections to check intrusion of criminals or any kind of unscrupulous elements, he said.
"During elections, we seal all kinds of borders- be it international or interstate. I am also election in-charge of Gujarat and ensure that the borders are sealed properly to check infiltration of criminals or illicit liquor etc," Zutshi said.
The Deputy Election Commissioner who came here on Wednesday to review the summary revision of the electoral rolls had Wednesday held meeting with the five recognised political parties.
"The meeting was cordial and I have assured all political parties that their complaints would be addressed properly," he said.
Zutshi said, he also had a meeting with all the eight district magistrates and SPs and the progress of election preparedness was satisfactory.
At least 1,20,300 people, including 80,000 fresh voters, have applied for inclusion of their names in the electoral rolls, the Chief Electoral Officer, Ashutosh Jindal said.
The final voters list would be published on January 12. It was supposed be published on January 5.
The ongoing revision of electoral roles was rescheduled after the Congress complained to the EC that many false voters were included in the draft voter list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'