Economic blockade affects traffic movement to Arunachal
Dibrugarh: Vehicles were stranded on
both sides of the border by a 12-hour blockade Wednesday on the
Margherita-Changlang Road, the only one, linking land-locked
Arunachal Pradesh from the upper Assam side.
The blockade to protest alleged attempts by Arunachal
Pradesh to encroach on land in Assam and violence by the
NSCN-IM had been initially called for 72 hours, but was
reduced to 12 hours considering hardship to the people, ULFA
pro-talk group`s Secretary Jiten Dutta said.
"If Arunachal continues to support the Greater Nagalim
demand of the NSCN-IM, then its indigenous Adi, Khampti and
Misimi ethnic groups who were never a part of Nagaland will
lose their distinct identity," Dutta warned.
Reacting to NSCN(IM)`s warning that the economic blockade
be lifted by today or else Assamese people residing in
Arunachal Pradesh would be attacked, Dutta said, "If the
threat is carried out, we will also not spare the Nagas living
Dutta appealed to the Central and Arunachal Pradesh
governments to evict NSCN-IM from camps in Tirap and Changlang
districts of that state.
He also asked people and student unions to be vigilant
against the `Greater Nagalim` demand by the NSCN-IM.
The pro-talk group`s chairman Mrinal Hazarika said
"NSCN(IM) cadre who are supposed to stay in designated camps
have broken the ceasefire rules and are moving about freely
with arms. The Centre should control them".
The blockade was also called to demand steps by Centre
for immediately halting NSCN-IM and other elements trying to
occupy land in Assam for Greater Nagalim.
NSCN(IM) militants and a section of people in Arunachal
Pradesh have engaged in sporadic incidents of violence. They
exchanged fire with security forces in Assam on August 14 at
Charaipung and Bimalapur in Sibsagar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone