Economic blockade in Manipur from midnight
Imphal: Two student organisations in Manipur Thursday threatened to launch an indefinite economic blockade of the Imphal-Moreh NH 2 in support of their demand that 7,000 students from hill districts be allowed to appear for the Class X exam.
The Naga Students Union, Chandel district, and Kuki Students` organisation said in a joint statement that more than 7,000 students had not been allowed to write the examination conducted by the Board of Secondary Education Manipur in the past two years or so.
They alleged that the BSEM had collected enrolment fees, but failed to issue admit cards on earlier occasions.
Sources in the secondary board revealed that cases were reported that candidates, particularly from interior hill districts, who had studied at various educational institutions in valley districts wanted to write their examinations at the hill districts, but this went against the rules.
The demand of the student organisations has been forwarded to the higher authorities, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Analysing the new revelations in Bermuda Triangle's mystery
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption