Economic blockade may lead to civil war in Manipur
Imphal: A major women`s association in Manipur on Monday appealed to the organisers of economic blockades on two national highways in the state to lift it immediately as it could lead to a `civil war`.
The blockades on Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati (NH39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar (NH53) should be immediately lifted as it might lead to a civil war and division among different communities in the state, chief of International Manipuri
Mothers` Association (IMMA) RK Khumanleima told reporters here.
It appeared that attempts were being made to divide communities in the state, she said, adding that fulfilment of the demands might not be in the hands of the state
government and the Centre should be approached.
The state has been witnessing an indefinite economic blockade on the two national highways since August 1 after Sadar Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) has launched the blockade to demand conversion of Kuki-majority Sadar Hills
area in Naga-majority Senapati district into a full-fledged district.
Opposing SHDDC`s demand, the United Naga Council launched economic blockades on the both highways from mid-August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials