Economic blockade may lead to civil war in Manipur
Imphal: A major women`s association in Manipur on Monday appealed to the organisers of economic blockades on two national highways in the state to lift it immediately as it could lead to a `civil war`.
The blockades on Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati (NH39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar (NH53) should be immediately lifted as it might lead to a civil war and division among different communities in the state, chief of International Manipuri
Mothers` Association (IMMA) RK Khumanleima told reporters here.
It appeared that attempts were being made to divide communities in the state, she said, adding that fulfilment of the demands might not be in the hands of the state
government and the Centre should be approached.
The state has been witnessing an indefinite economic blockade on the two national highways since August 1 after Sadar Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) has launched the blockade to demand conversion of Kuki-majority Sadar Hills
area in Naga-majority Senapati district into a full-fledged district.
Opposing SHDDC`s demand, the United Naga Council launched economic blockades on the both highways from mid-August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala