Economic blockade of Nagaland enters fifth day
Golaghat (Assam): The indefinite economic blockade of Nagaland called by six organisations of Assam entered the fifth day on Wednesday with no signs of any thaw.
The blockade, which started on August 18, has been called against alleged encroachment of land by people of Nagaland in Assam`s Golaghat district.
Protesters from various outfits, which include Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad (AJYCP), Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and the All Tea Tribes Students` Union, among others, have extended their blockade to two more roads since yesterday, official sources said.
They have blocked the Naojan-Nagaland road in Sarupathar and also the Merapani road which goes to Nagaland`s Wokha district.
They are also continuing to prevent movement of traffic at National Highway 39 in Rangajan in Golaghat district.
A round of talks held yesterday between the protesters and the district administration failed to break the ice.
The protesters are adamant in demanding return of around 250 bighas of land in Merapani area of Golaghat district which has allegedly been taken over by people from Nagaland.
Meanwhile, there are reports of burning of some houses in Merapani last night by unidentified persons. However, there has been no official confirmation of this so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state