Election Commission visits Nagaland, reviews poll preparedness
Kohima: The Election Commission reviewed the poll preparedness in Nagaland where Assembly election is due in March.
The EC team, which came on a two-day visit to Nagaland yesterday, held discussions with political parties of the state at Chumukedima police complex near Dimapur.
All three members and other officials of the Commission, headed by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath, arrived in Dimapur to assess the preparations of Assembly election in the state.
According to sources, the EC team told the political parties that the 2013 Assembly elections for all the three north eastern states of Nagaland, Meghalaya and Tripura would be held as scheduled.
As per the schedule, the election in Nagaland should be held within March and the Commission would announce the date after returning to New Delhi.
The tenure of the present state Assembly expires on March 18. The last Assembly election was held on March 5, 2008.
The political parties such as ruling NPF, opposition Congress, BJP, NCP and others held meetings separately with EC officials.
Besides the CEC, two other election commissioners HS Brahma and Sayed Nasim also attended the meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack