Election Commission visits Nagaland, reviews poll preparedness
Kohima: The Election Commission reviewed the poll preparedness in Nagaland where Assembly election is due in March.
The EC team, which came on a two-day visit to Nagaland yesterday, held discussions with political parties of the state at Chumukedima police complex near Dimapur.
All three members and other officials of the Commission, headed by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath, arrived in Dimapur to assess the preparations of Assembly election in the state.
According to sources, the EC team told the political parties that the 2013 Assembly elections for all the three north eastern states of Nagaland, Meghalaya and Tripura would be held as scheduled.
As per the schedule, the election in Nagaland should be held within March and the Commission would announce the date after returning to New Delhi.
The tenure of the present state Assembly expires on March 18. The last Assembly election was held on March 5, 2008.
The political parties such as ruling NPF, opposition Congress, BJP, NCP and others held meetings separately with EC officials.
Besides the CEC, two other election commissioners HS Brahma and Sayed Nasim also attended the meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh