Election officials leave for relief camps for special registration
Aizawl: Election officials from Kolasib and Lunglei districts of Mizoram left for Bru relief camps in North Tripura district today to conduct special registration drive of voters even as the Mizo Students Union (MSU) expressed strong objection.
State joint chief electoral officer H Lalengmawia told a news agency that the drive was being conducted following instructions from the Election Commission and that officials from Mamit district had already conducted the special drive on Friday last.
Meanwhile, the MSU, in a memorandum submitted to the Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and state chief electoral officer Ashwani Kumar demanded that Bru voters in the Tripura relief camps should exercise franchise in Mizoram.
The MSU objected to the Election Commission`s proposal to have voters in the Bru relief camps to exercise franchise through postal ballots in their respective camps saying that the Brus should cast their votes in their respective polling stations in Mizoram.
Alleging that cases of massive rigging were reported when the Bru voters cast their votes in the relief camps through postal ballots in the earlier elections, the MSU, in a press statement today said that the student body would obstruct casting of votes by Bru voters outside the state.
The MSU warned that any attempts to facilitate casting of votes by the Brus voters in the relief camps in Tripura would face objections and obstructions from the Mizo students.
Lalengmawia said use of electronic voting machines (EVMs) in the relief camps was not feasible as there were voters from different polling stations and assembly constituencies in one camp alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi