Eleven militants surrender in Tripura
Agartala: Eleven National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) militants have surrendered to security forces in Tripura, police said Sunday.
They included the outfit`s self-styled area commander Suran Debbarma.
"The extremists sneaked into Indian territory from Bangladesh before surrendering to the BSF (Border Security Force) Saturday night," a police spokesperson told reporters here.
The guerrillas crossed the border at Karbook, 125 km from here, taking advantage of the mountainous terrain.
Debbarma led the state`s biggest massacre of 21 Tripura State Rifles troopers Aug 20, 2002 at Hirapur in western Tripura. He was wanted for many crimes including killings, the police official said.
Police said the men, who fled their camps in Chittagong Hill Tracts in Bangladesh last week, also surrendered some arms and ammunition, including AK series rifles. The BSF is interrogating them.
Tripura`s two banned groups -- NLFT and All Tripura Tiger Force -- have set up bases in Bangladesh.
Tripura shares an 856-km-long border with Bangladesh, some of it unfenced and running through dense forests, making it porous and vulnerable.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?