Encounter between GNLA and security forces
Shillong: Sohan D Shira, the chief of the
Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), declared a terrorist
outfit by the Centre, today gave a slip to security forces
following an encounter in Meghalaya.
Acting on a tip-off, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
commandos and CRPF`s CoBRA personnel stormed a GNLA camp in a
forest area about two km south of Bawegre village under
Williamnagar police station at around 7:00 am, police said.
The GNLA cadres opened fire on the security forces after
which an encounter ensued, they said, adding that there was no
casualty on either side in the encounter.
The militants managed to escape leaving behind 66 high-
intensity bombs, a SBML gun and a mobilephone in the camp.
Formed in 2010, the GNLA is active in three western Garo
Hills districts and in pockets of West Khasi Hills district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites