Encounter between GNLA and security forces
Shillong: Sohan D Shira, the chief of the
Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), declared a terrorist
outfit by the Centre, today gave a slip to security forces
following an encounter in Meghalaya.
Acting on a tip-off, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
commandos and CRPF`s CoBRA personnel stormed a GNLA camp in a
forest area about two km south of Bawegre village under
Williamnagar police station at around 7:00 am, police said.
The GNLA cadres opened fire on the security forces after
which an encounter ensued, they said, adding that there was no
casualty on either side in the encounter.
The militants managed to escape leaving behind 66 high-
intensity bombs, a SBML gun and a mobilephone in the camp.
Formed in 2010, the GNLA is active in three western Garo
Hills districts and in pockets of West Khasi Hills district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends