Encounter between GNLA and security forces
Shillong: Sohan D Shira, the chief of the
Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), declared a terrorist
outfit by the Centre, today gave a slip to security forces
following an encounter in Meghalaya.
Acting on a tip-off, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT)
commandos and CRPF`s CoBRA personnel stormed a GNLA camp in a
forest area about two km south of Bawegre village under
Williamnagar police station at around 7:00 am, police said.
The GNLA cadres opened fire on the security forces after
which an encounter ensued, they said, adding that there was no
casualty on either side in the encounter.
The militants managed to escape leaving behind 66 high-
intensity bombs, a SBML gun and a mobilephone in the camp.
Formed in 2010, the GNLA is active in three western Garo
Hills districts and in pockets of West Khasi Hills district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah