"Eruption" on Manipur hill, locals flee to safety
Imphal: A suspected volcano-like eruption has been reported in a remote village of Manipur near the Indo- Myanmar border which forced locals to evacuate the area, official sources said on Sunday.
According to locals in Tusom village in Ukhrul district of Manipur, a deafening sound was followed by the rolling down of a huge boulder from a nearby hilltop which then released a lava-like liquid that charred trees and plants on the hill slopes.
Although the incident reportedly occurred on Oct. 13, road link between the district headquarters and Tusom was so bad it took the villagers several days to reach the information about the matter to the officials concerned, sources said.
The district headquarters is 120km away from the village.
No casualty was, however, reported in the incident.
Official reports from the district said mud, water and other discharges were still flowing from the hilltop. Villagers have moved to safer places in the neighbourhood, they added.
Sources said it would take time to assess whether the event was a volcanic eruption or not.
Deputy Speaker of Manipur Assembly, MK Preshow said he would lead an official team to assess the damages. Tusom village falls under his Assembly constituency of Chingai.
Preshow said he would ask officials to take precautionary measures in the area, which falls near border pillar No.129.
Villagers in the said area rely entirely on the Somra area of neighbouring Myanmar for their items of daily use, Preshow said. However, since the road to Somra was blocked following the incident, steps would be taken by the state government to supply the villagers with essential items, Preshow added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes