Ethnic violence: Over 12,500 return homes in Assam and Meghalaya
Shillong: About 12,500 people have returned
to their villages after having spent over a week in relief
camps set up in the wake of ethnic violence in East Garo Hills
district of Meghalaya and Goalpara district of Assam.
Lists of the refugees were exchanged at a meeting
between the officials of both the districts at Goalpara last
evening, official sources said on Tuesday.
East Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner, Pravin Bakshi said
while 6,000 people had returned to their homes in Meghalaya,
6,500 others to their villages in Assam.
"Some of the remaining were reluctant to go back. There
is a sense of insecurity and uncertainty. We have stressed on
more confidence building measures," he said.
As part of the measures, a team from East Garo Hills led
by it DC will visit the relief camps at Goalpara today and
interact with the people to instill confidence among the
The Goalpara administration will also initiate a similar
Meanwhile, joint patrolling was being carried out in the
sensitive places along the border areas to prevent any
The East Garo Hills administration also asked their
Goalpara counterpart to share information about any
agitational programmes called by the Rabha groups.
One company of Meghalaya Police has been withdrawn from
East Garo Hills, while the additional paramilitary troops
deployed in the violence hit areas will remain there for
Night curfew will also remain in force till absolute
normalcy, officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed