EU envoys meet Nagaland Guv, CM amidst row
Kohima, May 15: Diplomats of European countries have called on Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar and Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio amidst a controversy in New Delhi over their `uninformed` visit to the Northeastern state.
The diplomats discussed possibilities of enhancing cooperation between India and EU in various fields pertaining to the N-E region and Nagaland in particular during their meetings with Kumar and Rio on Monday, official sources said.
The envoys, who visited the state museum and other places of tourist interest on Tuesday, however, refused to make any comment on their visit to the state.
"Since our visit has created some controversies, we do not like to make any comment now," EU Ambassador to India Joao Cravinho, who led a team of eight diplomats to Nagaland, told reporters with a smile.
"We are overwhelmed by wonderful hospitality and enjoyed our trip to Nagaland" was the only comment he offered.
During the meeting with the governor at Raj Bhavan, the envoys talked on various issues including the on-going Naga peace process, official sources said today.
Underlining the importance of India`s Look East Policy, the envoys said it was equally important to take into consideration the `West` in the same policy, the sources said.
The ambassadors also met the chief minister and his council of ministers and discussed wide ranging issues for enhancing bilateral cooperation between the EU and India and how Nagaland could be part of this process, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Development initiatives got huge setback in J&K: Mehbooba
- The answer to past earthquakes lies with the ancient Himalayan temples!
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt
- Arvind Kejriwal says PM Narendra Modi can even get him killed; now, BJP's reaction is interesting - READ
- Monsanto case: CCI rejects pleas seeking review of probe order