Eviction drive continues in Guwahati
Guwahati: Continuing with its anti-encroachment drive, civic authorities carried out eviction of unauthorised structures and business establishments in the city for the second consecutive day Thursday.
Officials said a day-long operation was carried out today during which dozens of illegal constructions were demolished in the banks of the Bharalu river which passes through the city.
Among the areas targeted were the localities of Ulubari, Sarabhati and Bishnupur.
Guwahati Municipal Corporation (GMC) and district administration teams used machines to demolish structures, including shops, vegetable markets and religious places.
Officials said the drive was carried out to ensure that Bharalu river does not face problem of water-logging and artificial flood during the coming monsoon season.
They also said that appeals would be filed in relevant courts regarding illegal structures whose owners have secured stay-orders against demolition.
Yesterday police had to resort to lathi-charge during an eviction drive in Lalmati locality in the city. However, today`s drive passed off peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan