Eviction drive continues in Guwahati
Guwahati: Continuing with its anti-encroachment drive, civic authorities carried out eviction of unauthorised structures and business establishments in the city for the second consecutive day Thursday.
Officials said a day-long operation was carried out today during which dozens of illegal constructions were demolished in the banks of the Bharalu river which passes through the city.
Among the areas targeted were the localities of Ulubari, Sarabhati and Bishnupur.
Guwahati Municipal Corporation (GMC) and district administration teams used machines to demolish structures, including shops, vegetable markets and religious places.
Officials said the drive was carried out to ensure that Bharalu river does not face problem of water-logging and artificial flood during the coming monsoon season.
They also said that appeals would be filed in relevant courts regarding illegal structures whose owners have secured stay-orders against demolition.
Yesterday police had to resort to lathi-charge during an eviction drive in Lalmati locality in the city. However, today`s drive passed off peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh