EVMs for by-poll reach Aizawl
Aizawl: All the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) used in the polling for by-poll to the Chalfilh Assembly seat on Saturday reached the strong room in the Deputy Commissioner`s Office here at 6:30 am on Sunday morning and the final poll turnout was 80.35 percent.
H Lalengmawia, the state joint chief electoral officer, said that some polling parties deployed in the remotest part of the constituency adjoining Manipur had to spend the whole night in reaching Aizawl.
Seven candidates were in the fray for the by-poll necessitated by the demise of the sitting legislator Chawngtinthanga of the ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The by-poll was completed peacefully and without any untoward incidents and the counting of votes would be held at the Aijal Club here on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city