EVMs for by-poll reach Aizawl
Aizawl: All the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) used in the polling for by-poll to the Chalfilh Assembly seat on Saturday reached the strong room in the Deputy Commissioner`s Office here at 6:30 am on Sunday morning and the final poll turnout was 80.35 percent.
H Lalengmawia, the state joint chief electoral officer, said that some polling parties deployed in the remotest part of the constituency adjoining Manipur had to spend the whole night in reaching Aizawl.
Seven candidates were in the fray for the by-poll necessitated by the demise of the sitting legislator Chawngtinthanga of the ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The by-poll was completed peacefully and without any untoward incidents and the counting of votes would be held at the Aijal Club here on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'