EVMs for by-poll reach Aizawl
Aizawl: All the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) used in the polling for by-poll to the Chalfilh Assembly seat on Saturday reached the strong room in the Deputy Commissioner`s Office here at 6:30 am on Sunday morning and the final poll turnout was 80.35 percent.
H Lalengmawia, the state joint chief electoral officer, said that some polling parties deployed in the remotest part of the constituency adjoining Manipur had to spend the whole night in reaching Aizawl.
Seven candidates were in the fray for the by-poll necessitated by the demise of the sitting legislator Chawngtinthanga of the ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The by-poll was completed peacefully and without any untoward incidents and the counting of votes would be held at the Aijal Club here on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi