EVMs for by-poll reach Aizawl
Aizawl: All the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) used in the polling for by-poll to the Chalfilh Assembly seat on Saturday reached the strong room in the Deputy Commissioner`s Office here at 6:30 am on Sunday morning and the final poll turnout was 80.35 percent.
H Lalengmawia, the state joint chief electoral officer, said that some polling parties deployed in the remotest part of the constituency adjoining Manipur had to spend the whole night in reaching Aizawl.
Seven candidates were in the fray for the by-poll necessitated by the demise of the sitting legislator Chawngtinthanga of the ruling Congress on September 16 last year.
The by-poll was completed peacefully and without any untoward incidents and the counting of votes would be held at the Aijal Club here on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them