`Excess Brahmaputra water usable for other areas`
Shillong: The Government is keen to use the "excess" water from the Brahmaputra in the northeast to feed the water-crisis farming areas above the Ganges and below the Himalayan ranges in the country, Union Minister of State for Water Resources, Vincent H Pala, said on Wednesday.
The idea was mooted as part of the Interlinking of Rivers Project (ILRP) designed to ease water shortages while mitigating the impacts of recurrent floods in the major river basin, he said.
Pala said the feasibility study for the inter-linking of the river has been conducted but said the project is awaiting the nod from the Union Ministry of Forest and Environment as the route has to pass through a major bio reserve forest.
The Inter-link project would consist of two parts, a northern Himalayan River Development component and a southern Peninsular River Development component, Pala said, adding that 30 links, a feasibility study for which was completed, have already been identified by his ministry.
"Out of the 30 links, the Government has prioritised five and out of these five, DPRs is in the process of preparation. Some of the states are on the verge of agreeing to the idea and so only a feasibility report was done," Pala said.
The Minister however, said, the linking of rivers could only be put into action, only if two or three states agree to implement the project. He said the decision of the states is imperative as water is a state subject.
The Supreme Court had recently approved the Government`s project of interlinking rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid