Exodus of NE people from from K’taka, TN, Maha abates
Bangalore/Chennai: The panic exodus of northeast people from Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra abated today and no special trains were operated to Guwahati but security personnel kept a tight vigil with the Eid festival also falling tomorrow.
With no unusual rush being witnessed at Bangalore from where 30,000 Northeasterners had left, Home Minister R Asoka, who a met a three-member Nagaland delegation, told them the exodus had stopped after government assured them safety. The team comprised two ministers and the IGP.
"Everything is calm. There is no need to panic," Asoka told reporters after the meeting.
"We have arrested 16 persons in the city during last three days for intimidating or sending disturbing SMSs to the north east population. The situation is under control", he said.
Additional Director General of Police Bhaskar Rao said "since yesterday, no special trains are plying to Guwahati. The exodus has stopped."
The flight of people from the northeast was sparked by rumours and SMSs early this week that they will be attacked in the wake of the Assam violence.
In Chennai, the exit of Northeasterners from the city dwindled with only a few hundred seen at the main central railway station.
Police said the number of those leaving, which was around 2,000 every day, had dropped to less than 1,000 on Sunday.
A relative decline was observed in Pune since last night in the number of people from northeast heading for their home states, official sources said in Pune.
Although many continued to board the `Azad Hind Express` that goes to Howrah, the number of students and workers from Assam and Manipur rushing to railway station out of panic was gradually decreasing, a railway official said.
In Mumbai too, no unusual rush was witnessed on the trains heading for West Bengal and north east, Central Railway sources said.
In Bangalore, police beefed up security, deploying 17,000 personnel as government put its security machinery in top gear to instil a sense of confidence among the Northeasterners and also keeping in mind the Eid festival.
Three companies each of CRPF and RAF, 25 KSRP (Karnataka State Reserve Police) platoons and 35 City Armed Reserve platoons, 1,500 trainee policemen and 500 Home Guards are also being deployed here, Police Commissioner Jyothi Prakash Mirji told reporters in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now