close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Extend ULFA ban: Meghalaya, Arunachal to tribunal

Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh governments have sought extension of the ban on ULFA, citing unabated terror activities of the group in their territories and links with small groups operating in the neighbouring states.



Shillong: Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh
governments have sought extension of the ban on ULFA, citing
unabated terror activities of the group in their territories
and links with small groups operating in the neighbouring
states.

Deposing before Unlawful Activities Prevention
Tribunal headed by Delhi High Court judge Mukta Gupta here,
representatives of both the governments said the ban will help
the security agencies in taking "effective action" against the
terror activities, official sources told agency.
Representing Arunachal Pradesh, advocate A K
Srivastava produced three witnesses while Ranjan Mookherjee,
representing Meghalaya, produced several witness before the
tribunal.

Mookherjee said officers investigating various
ULFA-related cases and deputy commissioners of three districts
were produced as witness over the last two days.

"The tribunal has to give its findings by next month,"
he said.

In the past two years, three cases related to the
banned group of Assam have been registered in West Garo Hills
district while four in East Garo Hills district, the sources
said, adding the progress of the cases were made known to the
tribunal.

The Meghalaya government told the tribunal that ULFA
was regularly using its territory as transit to and fro
Bangladesh and the cadres were involving locals for logistic
support, sources said.
The group has also forged links with smaller and
nascent rebel groups like Garo National Liberation Army in
Meghalaya, the tribunal was told.

Meghalaya Political Secretary Bhalang Dhar, who also
deposed, submitted the affidavit on behalf of the state.

The Tribunal had issued notices to Assam, Arunachal,
Nagaland and Meghalaya governments on the Centre`s plea
seeking its nod to extend the ban on ULFA by two more years.

The tribunal is hearing a Home Ministry`s plea seeking
its nod to extend the government`s notification, issued on
November 27 last year, to extend the ban by two years on ULFA
on the ground that it has so far not abjured violence.

The panel has also sought responses from the banned
group on the Centre`s notification, before confirming the
declaration of the ban or cancelling it.

MHA had decided to re-impose the ban on ULFA as an
unlawful organisation on the ground that "the outfit is yet to
abjure violence". The ban, which was slapped in accordance
with the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967, was first
imposed in 1990. Since then, the order has been re-imposed
every two years.
Recently, the group`s `chairman` Arabinda Rajkhowa,
`foreign secretary` Sasadhar Choudhury and `finance secretary`
Chitraban Hazarika were released from jail. However, ULFA`s
military chief Paresh Barua, who has so far refused to come
forward for negotiations with the Centre, is still elusive.

PTI

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions