Extortion on rise on NH passing through Manipur
Imphal: Incidents of militant outfits
extorting money from drivers of loaded trucks plying along
NH-53 (Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar) in Manipur`s Tamenglong
district are on the rise, officials said on Sunday.
Extortion is mainly from vehicles plying without security
escort, said officials.
They said militants belonging to NSCN-IM, NSCN-K and Naga
National Council (Federal Government of Nagaland) were
collecting Rs 500 each per trip from loaded trucks at places
like Noney, Awang Khul and Kambirong in Tamenglong district.
Vehicle owners have also been paying Rs 8000 as `annual
tax`, besides `road tax, `goods tax` and others for the past
few years to the militant groups, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?