Extortion on rise on NH passing through Manipur
Imphal: Incidents of militant outfits
extorting money from drivers of loaded trucks plying along
NH-53 (Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar) in Manipur`s Tamenglong
district are on the rise, officials said on Sunday.
Extortion is mainly from vehicles plying without security
escort, said officials.
They said militants belonging to NSCN-IM, NSCN-K and Naga
National Council (Federal Government of Nagaland) were
collecting Rs 500 each per trip from loaded trucks at places
like Noney, Awang Khul and Kambirong in Tamenglong district.
Vehicle owners have also been paying Rs 8000 as `annual
tax`, besides `road tax, `goods tax` and others for the past
few years to the militant groups, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city