Fast-track trails should be ensured for heinous crimes: TCW
Agartala: The Tripura Commission for
Women today demanded fast-track trials in the state to deal
with heinous crimes like gangrape.
"Fast track trials should be done for heinous crimes
like gangrape. It takes considerable time to begin trial into
women related cases like rape, molestation or domestic
violence and the lengthy process often mars the prospect of
conviction," Dr Tapati Chakraborty, chairperson of the
commission said here.
The commission has already urged DGP Pranay Sahay to
order fast-track trial in the gangrape of a minor girl at the
SDM`s office, Ambassa in Dhalai district, early this month.
"We are waiting for the response from the DGP," she
In the letter, addressed to the DGP, the chairperson
also requested to begin the trial keeping all the guilty
persons behind the bars so that they could not influence the
She also lamented over the tardy pace of investigation
into such cases.
"The time consuming factor provides an opportunity to
accused persons to use money or power to turn around the
case," she pointed out.
On the spiralling number of cases related to crime
against women in Tripura, Dr Chakraborty said that the overall
social degradation is the main cause of concern.
She also blamed private TV channels for promoting
obscenity in programmes.
"It misguides the younger generation. Healthy
conscious can play a pivotal role to address the menace," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO