Fast-track trails should be ensured for heinous crimes: TCW
Agartala: The Tripura Commission for
Women today demanded fast-track trials in the state to deal
with heinous crimes like gangrape.
"Fast track trials should be done for heinous crimes
like gangrape. It takes considerable time to begin trial into
women related cases like rape, molestation or domestic
violence and the lengthy process often mars the prospect of
conviction," Dr Tapati Chakraborty, chairperson of the
commission said here.
The commission has already urged DGP Pranay Sahay to
order fast-track trial in the gangrape of a minor girl at the
SDM`s office, Ambassa in Dhalai district, early this month.
"We are waiting for the response from the DGP," she
In the letter, addressed to the DGP, the chairperson
also requested to begin the trial keeping all the guilty
persons behind the bars so that they could not influence the
She also lamented over the tardy pace of investigation
into such cases.
"The time consuming factor provides an opportunity to
accused persons to use money or power to turn around the
case," she pointed out.
On the spiralling number of cases related to crime
against women in Tripura, Dr Chakraborty said that the overall
social degradation is the main cause of concern.
She also blamed private TV channels for promoting
obscenity in programmes.
"It misguides the younger generation. Healthy
conscious can play a pivotal role to address the menace," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened