Fast-unto-death of workers enter its second day
Jorhat: The fast-unto-death of
nearly 300 workers of Tocklai Tea Estate against the proposed
hand over of land from the estate for a National Institute of
Design entered the second day on Wednesday.
Two workers, Urvashi Tanti and Hemo Tanti, were
shifted to the Jorhat Medical C9ollege and Hospital hospital
due to their deteriorating health, official sources said.
Jorhat Deputy Commissioner Rameshwar Jain said that the
workers land will not be affected due to the proposed NID,
which will be spread over 97 bighas of land.
He said all the 297 workers of Tocklai Tea Estate would
be shifted to another tea garden belonging to the Assam Tea
Corporation Ltd, which is the owner of the estate.
Tension was brewing in the area since yesterday after NID
authorities, along with a police contingent, started
occupying the land.
The agitation of the workers are being backed by a number
of organisations including the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti
of Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi and the Chah Shramik Mukti
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details