Fast-unto-death of workers enter its second day
Jorhat: The fast-unto-death of
nearly 300 workers of Tocklai Tea Estate against the proposed
hand over of land from the estate for a National Institute of
Design entered the second day on Wednesday.
Two workers, Urvashi Tanti and Hemo Tanti, were
shifted to the Jorhat Medical C9ollege and Hospital hospital
due to their deteriorating health, official sources said.
Jorhat Deputy Commissioner Rameshwar Jain said that the
workers land will not be affected due to the proposed NID,
which will be spread over 97 bighas of land.
He said all the 297 workers of Tocklai Tea Estate would
be shifted to another tea garden belonging to the Assam Tea
Corporation Ltd, which is the owner of the estate.
Tension was brewing in the area since yesterday after NID
authorities, along with a police contingent, started
occupying the land.
The agitation of the workers are being backed by a number
of organisations including the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti
of Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi and the Chah Shramik Mukti
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview
- Pakistan vs England, 2nd T20: Live Streaming
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju