FIR lodged against Assam BJP MP for making `derogatory speech`
Shillong: An FIR has been lodged against Assam BJP MP Bijoya Chakraborty for allegedly making `derogatory speech` at a relief camp in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district, which incited communal passion during the recent ethnic violence.
Chakraborty allegedly made the speech at the Mendipathar College relief camp where she also accused the state government of trying to encroach on land of the Rabhas.
"The visit of the MP (on January 5) was not intimated and was in defiance of curfew orders which were promulgated on January 3," according to a status report prepared by the district administration on the Garo-Rabha ethnic clashes that broke out on January one.
The case was registered under Sections 153 and 153 (A) of the IPC.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had said that Chakraborty "apparently made some inflammatory remarks, thereby creating communal passion."
Chakraborty is a BJP MP from Guwahati Lok Sabha constituency and also a former union minister of water resources.
At least nine persons were killed and over 5,000 displaced in the ten-day violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie