FIR lodged in Meghalaya against Assam BJP MP
Shillong: An FIR has been lodged against
Assam BJP MP Bijoya Chakraborty for allegedly making `derogatory speech` at a relief camp in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district, which incited communal passion during the
recent ethnic violence.
Chakraborty allegedly made the speech at the
Mendipathar College relief camp where she also accused the
state government of trying to encroach on land of the Rabhas.
"The visit of the MP (on January 5) was not intimated
and was in defiance of curfew orders which were promulgated on
January 3," according to a status report prepared by the
district administration on the Garo-Rabha ethnic clashes that
broke out on January one.
The case was registered under Sections 153 and 153 (A)
of the IPC.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had said that
Chakraborty "apparently made some inflammatory remarks,
thereby creating communal passion."
Chakraborty is a BJP MP from Guwahati Lok Sabha
constituency and also a former union minister of water
At least nine persons were killed and over 5,000 displaced in the ten-day violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’