First railway station in Meghalaya to be inaugurated
Shillong: The first railway station in Meghalaya at Mendipathar in the North Garo Hills would be inaugurated soon, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said today.
Stating that there was a lot of support for the first railway station from local people, NGOs and social organisations in the Garo Hills, Sangma told the Assembly that this was needed in the Khasi-Jaintia Hills for implementing a similar long pending central project.
Sangma, who holds the finance portfolio, emphasised on the need for the railways as it was a cheaper mode of transport in the land-locked state and would make essential commodities affordable to the people.
He said that introduction of railways would give a boost to tourism and expressed optimism that the rail network would be extended up to Byrnihat and state capital Shillong.
Allaying the fear of possible influx and immigration with the introduction of railways, he said that a directorate of infiltration already existed to deal with the problem.
He said the new 361-km National Highway-127 was notified and its alignment connecting Asanang, Williamnagar, Phulbari, Tura and Nongstoin approved, for which Rs 479 crore was earmarked.
He also spelt out his government`s commitment to expand the Umroi and Baljek Airports in a time-bound manner.
Stressing on the revival of the dysfunctional river routes to neighbouring Bangladesh for trade, Sangma said Meghalaya could be a trade corridor for the Northeast to Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt