First train to chug into Meghalaya April 1
Shillong: The railways will be debuting in Meghalaya with the first train scheduled to chug into Mendipathar station in North Garo Hills on April 1, an official said Friday.
"With the integration of the Dudhnoi (Assam)-Mendipathar line with the national railway grid Friday, Meghalaya found a place on India`s railway map," public relations officer (construction) of North East Frontier Railway, DC Borah said.
Borah, however, said the first train will chug into Meghalaya only April 1.
"The new line needs to be connected to Dudhnoi`s lines through an interlocking and signalling arrangement. To make this possible, the existing station interlocking system has to be temporarily suspended and new lines have to be connected with the existing system," the railway official said.
"This will allow trains to enter and leave Dudhnai station by using signals from the Mendipathar end and vice versa. Non-interlocked systems were started Feb 25 and integration was completed Feb 27. Thus, the first step towards integration of Dudhnai-Mendipathar new line with India`s railway network is complete," he added.
The 19.47 km railway line would connect Dudhnoi in the Goalpara district of Assam and Mendhipathar in the North Garo Hills district of Meghalaya.
This project of the Indian Railways was approved in 1992-93, but, faced hurdles during its initial days due to opposition from the local population. However, it is slated to be completed by 2013.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had earlier said that Meghalaya had missed many opportunities in bringing the railways in the past.
"We have to open up and also change our mindset," Sangma said referring to opposition against the railways from some groups in Meghalaya.
Railways have been opposed in Meghalaya by the influential Khasi Students` Union, claiming it would encourage influx. Projects like the Byrnihat-Shillong project which is slated to be completed by 2018, thus stand threatened.
He said the railways would change the socio-economic landscape of the state and would benefit everyone by providing employment to the youth and giving better markets to farmers.
Sangma said the facility will generate new hope for the people.
He added: "People should not have the perception of alienation and all fear of the people should be allayed," he said.
Incidentally, railways in Meghalaya is not something new. Although this is for the first time the railways would chug into Meghalaya after it attained statehood in 1972, but present-day Meghalaya is one of the first places in India to have the railways.
In 1895-96, the British provincial government of united Assam built the Cherra Companyganj State Railways and was one of the first railway projects of that era.
It was a contemporary of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railways or "Toy Train" now listed as a World-heritage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested