Five detained for disturbing peace in Meghalaya
Shillong: Five youth have been detained for allegedly trying to disturb peace after they were found conducting certain rituals in a graveyard at Tura, police said on Wednesday.
The youth have been detained under Section 144 (unlawful assembly) and Section 188 (disobedience to order).
Various Christian groups have been warning that some people, especially the young, have taken to conduct of such unwanted rituals.
Taking note of the practice, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has asked the district administration and the police to keep an eye on the phenomenon.
"Church members and all like-minded people will be involved in an exercise to root out the presence of such characters," Sangma said.
Voicing concern, state Home Minister Roshan Warjri said the government was seized of the matter and was `disturbed`.
"The government will not take the matter lightly and is committed to taking necessary action in order to prevent young people from falling prey to such practices," she asserted.
Fr John Madur, Shillong Archdiocese Chancellor, said, "We are aware that some of the young people have gone astray from the church".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured