Five militants lay down arms before BSF in Manipur
Imphal: Five militants of different organisations have laid down arms before BSF in Bishenpur district of Manipur, official sources said on Wednesday.
The militants from United National Liberation Front, People`s United Liberation Front and Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Council surrendered before senior officials of the 116th BSF battalion at Loktak area yesterday.
Three 9mm pistols, one lethod gun with live shell, three magazines, two hand grenades, one walkie talkie set and some rounds of ammunitions of different weapons were also handed over to the authorities by the militants, sources said.
Welcoming them, inspector general of the BSF Anup Chand Thapliyal said it was good that the militants chose to join the national mainstream by giving up arms and assured them they would be properly rehabilitated as provisions of the rules and regulations set by the central and state governments.
He said BSF would also extend all possibly assistance and financial benefits to help them start a new life.
Official sources said more than 200 militants of different organisations have laid down arms before the authorities in Manipur this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured