Five people killed in Manipur IED blast
Imphal: At least five people were killed Monday when a powerful bomb exploded in a market in this Manipur capital, police said.
"The bomb exploded at a shop in the Sangakpam market in the capital city at around 2 p.m., killing five people on the spot. Twenty people were also injured and admitted to the hospital," a police spokesperson told reporters.
Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh, who also holds the home portfolio, visited the spot and ordered an inquiry.
"Casualties may increase as the injuries of some of the people are stated to be critical," the police official said.
The Manipur government had intensified security in Imphal and other sensitive places after rebels hurled grenades at some houses at Chingamathak Manipur College Road near here Sunday.
The grenades did not explode and no one was injured in the attack. All the four targeted houses are located under the Imphal municipality area from where the government recently lifted the controversial Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act.
Police suspect that separatist outfits might step up violence in this volatile northeastern state ahead of Independence Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands