Five poachers surrender
Golaghat: Five poachers allegedly involved in the killing of nine rhinos in and around Kaziranga National Park have surrendered before the Golaghat district administration, official sources said here on Thursday.
The poachers also deposited five country-made guns and a powerful grenade at a function held at Bongkual area of the district yesterday in the presence of district Deputy Commissioner NM Hussain, Superintendent of Police Madan Chetia and Divisional Forest Officer Rajen Chaudhury said.
The district officials also appealed to other people involved in poaching to follow the example of the surrendered poachers who have been assured of proper rehabilitation.
An environment-related NGO, Rhino Jagaran Mancha, was instrumental in bringing the poachers to the mainstream, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Subramanian Swamy's lecture on 'Emergency' cancelled
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship