Five poachers surrender
Golaghat: Five poachers allegedly involved in the killing of nine rhinos in and around Kaziranga National Park have surrendered before the Golaghat district administration, official sources said here on Thursday.
The poachers also deposited five country-made guns and a powerful grenade at a function held at Bongkual area of the district yesterday in the presence of district Deputy Commissioner NM Hussain, Superintendent of Police Madan Chetia and Divisional Forest Officer Rajen Chaudhury said.
The district officials also appealed to other people involved in poaching to follow the example of the surrendered poachers who have been assured of proper rehabilitation.
An environment-related NGO, Rhino Jagaran Mancha, was instrumental in bringing the poachers to the mainstream, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi