Five-year-old raped, murdered in Tripura
Agartala: A five-year-old girl was raped and murdered in Tripura, triggering violent protests by the locals. Police later arrested the culprit, officials said here on Saturday.
"The five-year-old went missing Thursday night at a religious function at Karbook in southern Tripura. Police recovered her body from the septic tank of a latrine Saturday morning, after interrogating the arrested youth," a police spokesman told reporters.
The police said that the accused Sanjit Saha, 28, confessed that he raped the girl before strangling her to death. He said he dumped the body in the septic tank of a school`s toilet.
The rape and subsequent murder of the girl triggered massive protests in the area. Scores of locals gathered at the victim`s house and at Natun Bazar police station to protest the brutal crime.
Senior police and civil officials rushed to the area, 125 km south of the state capital, to control the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says