Five youths arrested for assaulting VC
Itanagar: Five youths, including two
businessmen, were arrested here today in connection with the
recent assault on the Vice Chancellor of the Rajiv Gandhi
Central University K C Beliappa at his residence within the
Those arrested have confessed to their involvement in
the attack, police said.
Beliappa had sustained injuries on his head, left eye,
face, neck and thighs when a group of about fifty youths
forced their entry into his residence on January 25 and
The youths had threatened the VC with dire
consequences if he did not apologise to a university official
on an issue and leave the campus within seven days, a varsity
had release said.
Home Minister, Tako Dabi along with high officials
visited the campus today, university sources said.
Meanwhile, the All Arunachal Pradesh Students Union,
the apex students` body in the state, condemned the incident
and demanded exemplary punishment to the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen
- Boy George 'devastated' over friend's suicide