Flag march in Meghalaya capital
Shillong: Meghalaya police and paramilitary forces staged a flag march in the capital apprehending violence following a two-day road blockade called from Wednesday night in four districts of the Khasi Jantia hills.
Four NGOs - Khasi Students Union, the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People, the Synjuk Seng Samla Shnong and the Hynniewtrep National Youth Front - have called the road blockade in protest against alleged enrolment of doubtful voters in the state.
They have demanded steps to ensure that migrants and foreign nationals did not get voting rights.
The official vehicle of Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai was torched yesterday.
Police patrol has also been intensified in vulnerable areas, East Khasi Hills district Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
He said that paramilitary forces would be deployed around sensitive installations in the city during the road blockade.
Director General of Police, N Ramachandran has directed district police chiefs to take preventive measures to maintain peace.
Police arrested 12 KSU members alleged to be behind the stray incidents since Monday. They were released later on PR bonds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?