Flag march in Meghalaya capital
Shillong: Meghalaya police and paramilitary forces staged a flag march in the capital apprehending violence following a two-day road blockade called from Wednesday night in four districts of the Khasi Jantia hills.
Four NGOs - Khasi Students Union, the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People, the Synjuk Seng Samla Shnong and the Hynniewtrep National Youth Front - have called the road blockade in protest against alleged enrolment of doubtful voters in the state.
They have demanded steps to ensure that migrants and foreign nationals did not get voting rights.
The official vehicle of Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai was torched yesterday.
Police patrol has also been intensified in vulnerable areas, East Khasi Hills district Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
He said that paramilitary forces would be deployed around sensitive installations in the city during the road blockade.
Director General of Police, N Ramachandran has directed district police chiefs to take preventive measures to maintain peace.
Police arrested 12 KSU members alleged to be behind the stray incidents since Monday. They were released later on PR bonds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi