Flash floods in Manipur
Imphal: A flash flood triggered by incessant rains for the past several days has affected thousands of people, inundated several villages and washed away 40 houses in Jiribam subdivision in Manipur`s Imphal East district.
Official sources said today the water level of different rivers in the district have, however, started receding as rains stopped and the weather cleared.
According to Jiribam police, four persons were still missing. Among them is a 27-year old man who was swept away by the overflowing Jiri river in Jiribam, which borders Assam, after saving his uncle from drowning in the flood waters on Wednesday. The body was yet to be recovered.
The flash flood inundated the Jiribam market and several villages including Sanathong, Ningthembam, Patchao besides washing away 40 houses at Khusoithok nearby Jiribam town.
Those affected by the floods have been provided shelter at different relief camps, sources said, adding that more than 1300 people were given shelter at Jiribam Junior High School.
Reports from Jiribam said authorities have started surveying the areas to assess the damage and to provide government assistance to those affected.
Reports from other districts said major rivers including Jiri, Imphal (Imphal district), Iril (in Imphal) have started receding fast as rains stopped on Thursday and the weather bettered in the valley districts.
Imphal river, which was flowing near the danger level on Wednesday started receding fast and state Irrigation Minister Ngamthang Haokip ordered the opening of Ithai barrage to allow the water to flow into Loktak lake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB