Flood alert in Arunachal district
Itanagar: A flood alert has been sounded in Arunachal Pradesh`s East Siang district on Thursday as the Siang river was flowing above the danger level following heavy rains.
The river was flowing one meter above the danger level and could breach embankments, Deputy Commissioner Onit Panayang said.
"The level of the water was rising since yesterday following downpour for the last couple of days in the higher reaches," he said.
The road connecting Mebo from Pasighat was completely washed away cutting off surface communication, the DC said.
"People residing in low-lying areas of Pasighat town were shifted to safer places and a school has been earmarked as a relief camp, if needed," he said.
Panyang said he had informed his counterpart in Assam`s Dhemaji district about the situation.
The district administration was also constructing embankments as an alternate measure, the DC said.
The Siang river, which originated in China as Tsangpho culminates in Assam as the mighty Brahmaputra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- Pakistani TV actor shot in Karachi
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk