Floods, landslides disrupt power supply in eastern Arunachal
Itanagar: Incessant rain over the past couple of days has triggered floods and landslides, disrupting power supply and surface communication in eastern districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
Remote Anjaw district bordering China has been cut off from the rest of the state for the past five days following landslides, flash floods and flooded streams disrupting surface communication, official sources said today.
The culvert at Swami Camp and portion of the road have been washed out in between Khupa and Hayuliang. Major landslides at Mompani and Tiding areas in the district have snapped surface communication to the border district.
Heavy rainfall in Lohit district in the past four days has disrupted traffic movements between Tezu and Tinsukia (Assam) through Alubari Ghat. The fear of flood is also looming large in the district with the water level of the Lohit and its tributaries showing a rising trend.
The district administration has alerted every outpost, administrative office and nodal department on disaster management about the situation.
Deputy Commissioner B M Mishra has directed officials to keep a strict vigil over all vulnerable and low-lying areas of the district. Meanwhile, road communication via Parsuram Kund has been temporarily restored for light vehicles.
Continuous downpour has also caused severe damage to the 33 KV power line and washed out a number of electric poles resulting in partial blackout of the Tezu township.
Temporarily power was being drawn from the Roing-Chapakhowa line to get over the crisis, they said. Making matters worse, scarcity of drinking water has also partially hit the township due to non-availability of electricity.
We depend on rain water and fetch potable water from distant sources as the water reservoirs of the PHE department were unable to lift water following the power crisis, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health