Floods, landslides disrupt power supply in eastern Arunachal
Itanagar: Incessant rain over the past couple of days has triggered floods and landslides, disrupting power supply and surface communication in eastern districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
Remote Anjaw district bordering China has been cut off from the rest of the state for the past five days following landslides, flash floods and flooded streams disrupting surface communication, official sources said today.
The culvert at Swami Camp and portion of the road have been washed out in between Khupa and Hayuliang. Major landslides at Mompani and Tiding areas in the district have snapped surface communication to the border district.
Heavy rainfall in Lohit district in the past four days has disrupted traffic movements between Tezu and Tinsukia (Assam) through Alubari Ghat. The fear of flood is also looming large in the district with the water level of the Lohit and its tributaries showing a rising trend.
The district administration has alerted every outpost, administrative office and nodal department on disaster management about the situation.
Deputy Commissioner B M Mishra has directed officials to keep a strict vigil over all vulnerable and low-lying areas of the district. Meanwhile, road communication via Parsuram Kund has been temporarily restored for light vehicles.
Continuous downpour has also caused severe damage to the 33 KV power line and washed out a number of electric poles resulting in partial blackout of the Tezu township.
Temporarily power was being drawn from the Roing-Chapakhowa line to get over the crisis, they said. Making matters worse, scarcity of drinking water has also partially hit the township due to non-availability of electricity.
We depend on rain water and fetch potable water from distant sources as the water reservoirs of the PHE department were unable to lift water following the power crisis, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre