FMD outbreak in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: Following the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) affecting cattle and mithuns in remote Kurung Kumey district, a team of veterinary and para- veterinarians have been rushed to the district to combat the disease, official sources said Friday.
In addition to treatment, the team will also collect serum and tissue samples for virus isolation and typing, the sources said.
A team of veterinary doctors led by Gobin Karlo Riba, veterinary officer Koloriang, was already camping at Sangram and attending the affected animals, sources said. A ring vaccination was also carried out to create an immune belt within the controlled zone.
The district veterinary office is constantly keeping in touch with the working team and taking stock of the situation, and request the livestock owners and the general public to co-operate the team during treatment camp.
Out-break of FMD is also reported from other parts of Kurung-Kumey, East and West Kameng Districts, which is being monitored, sources informed.
At least six mithuns reportedly died while many have fallen sick of FMD at Pungrung and Layang villages under Sangram Area of Kurung Kumey in the past few days.
FMD is a highly contagious viral disease of cloven footed animals (cattle, mithun, yak, sheep, goat, pig, and even wild animal), endemic in the whole of NE States, the disease occurs every year, and once the animal is affected the remedy is only to render supportive treatment to prevent secondary infection, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly