FMD outbreak in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: Following the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) affecting cattle and mithuns in remote Kurung Kumey district, a team of veterinary and para- veterinarians have been rushed to the district to combat the disease, official sources said Friday.
In addition to treatment, the team will also collect serum and tissue samples for virus isolation and typing, the sources said.
A team of veterinary doctors led by Gobin Karlo Riba, veterinary officer Koloriang, was already camping at Sangram and attending the affected animals, sources said. A ring vaccination was also carried out to create an immune belt within the controlled zone.
The district veterinary office is constantly keeping in touch with the working team and taking stock of the situation, and request the livestock owners and the general public to co-operate the team during treatment camp.
Out-break of FMD is also reported from other parts of Kurung-Kumey, East and West Kameng Districts, which is being monitored, sources informed.
At least six mithuns reportedly died while many have fallen sick of FMD at Pungrung and Layang villages under Sangram Area of Kurung Kumey in the past few days.
FMD is a highly contagious viral disease of cloven footed animals (cattle, mithun, yak, sheep, goat, pig, and even wild animal), endemic in the whole of NE States, the disease occurs every year, and once the animal is affected the remedy is only to render supportive treatment to prevent secondary infection, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video