FMD outbreak in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: Following the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) affecting cattle and mithuns in remote Kurung Kumey district, a team of veterinary and para- veterinarians have been rushed to the district to combat the disease, official sources said Friday.
In addition to treatment, the team will also collect serum and tissue samples for virus isolation and typing, the sources said.
A team of veterinary doctors led by Gobin Karlo Riba, veterinary officer Koloriang, was already camping at Sangram and attending the affected animals, sources said. A ring vaccination was also carried out to create an immune belt within the controlled zone.
The district veterinary office is constantly keeping in touch with the working team and taking stock of the situation, and request the livestock owners and the general public to co-operate the team during treatment camp.
Out-break of FMD is also reported from other parts of Kurung-Kumey, East and West Kameng Districts, which is being monitored, sources informed.
At least six mithuns reportedly died while many have fallen sick of FMD at Pungrung and Layang villages under Sangram Area of Kurung Kumey in the past few days.
FMD is a highly contagious viral disease of cloven footed animals (cattle, mithun, yak, sheep, goat, pig, and even wild animal), endemic in the whole of NE States, the disease occurs every year, and once the animal is affected the remedy is only to render supportive treatment to prevent secondary infection, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes