Former CM F A Khonglam laid to rest
Shillong: Former Meghalaya Chief Minister F A Khonglam, known for his unique political manoeuvres that made him the first Independent MLA in the country to occupy the top post, was on Friday laid to rest at the burial ground of Malki locality here.
Khonglam, 67, passed away in a private hospital here on Tuesday evening after a brief illness.
Deputy Chief Ministers Rowell Lyngdoh and B M Lanong, Social Welfare Minister J A Lyngdoh and Parliamentary Secretary P W Khongjee besides his family members, friends and loved ones attended the funeral ceremony.
Governor R S Mooshahary, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma besides his other cabinet colleagues had visited Khonglam`s residence to mourn the death of the former chief minister.
The state government had declared a three-day mourning since his death with the national flags flown at half-mast in all government buildings besides having declared a half-day holiday on Friday
A MBBS degree holder, Khonglam successfully contested assembly elections in 1983 from Sohra in East Khasi Hills district but lost in 1988. Five years later, he won again and remained the Sohra MLA till 2008.
With a distinction of being the first Independent MLA to occupy the CM’s office anywhere in the country, Khonglam was sworn in on December 8, 2001 and he held office till March 3, 2003.
Khonglam had led a record 42-member coalition `Peoples Forum of Meghalaya` (PFM) government then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why