Former CM F A Khonglam laid to rest
Shillong: Former Meghalaya Chief Minister F A Khonglam, known for his unique political manoeuvres that made him the first Independent MLA in the country to occupy the top post, was on Friday laid to rest at the burial ground of Malki locality here.
Khonglam, 67, passed away in a private hospital here on Tuesday evening after a brief illness.
Deputy Chief Ministers Rowell Lyngdoh and B M Lanong, Social Welfare Minister J A Lyngdoh and Parliamentary Secretary P W Khongjee besides his family members, friends and loved ones attended the funeral ceremony.
Governor R S Mooshahary, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma besides his other cabinet colleagues had visited Khonglam`s residence to mourn the death of the former chief minister.
The state government had declared a three-day mourning since his death with the national flags flown at half-mast in all government buildings besides having declared a half-day holiday on Friday
A MBBS degree holder, Khonglam successfully contested assembly elections in 1983 from Sohra in East Khasi Hills district but lost in 1988. Five years later, he won again and remained the Sohra MLA till 2008.
With a distinction of being the first Independent MLA to occupy the CM’s office anywhere in the country, Khonglam was sworn in on December 8, 2001 and he held office till March 3, 2003.
Khonglam had led a record 42-member coalition `Peoples Forum of Meghalaya` (PFM) government then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming