Former Nagaland CM Jamir visits Manipur
Imphal: Former Nagaland Chief Minister and senior Congress leader S C Jamir has arrived here on a two-day private visit to Manipur, party sources said Tuesday.
Sources said Jamir, a former governor of Maharashtra, called on Manipur governor Gurbachan Jagat immediately after arrival but it was not known what transpired in the meeting.
The visit of Jamir, a member of Congress Working Committee, was viewed with considerable interests among political observers as Centre and NSCN-IM are going to enter a crucial stage in peace talks for settlement of Naga issues in Nagaland.
The main demand of NSCN-IM was, said sources in political parties here, that of disintegration of Manipur to merge Naga-inhabited areas with neighbouring Nagaland but it was rejected by several organisations in Manipur.
Congress sources said Jamir would also meet Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh, also a senior Congress leader, before leaving for Nagaland today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state