Former Nagaland CM Jamir visits Manipur
Imphal: Former Nagaland Chief Minister and senior Congress leader S C Jamir has arrived here on a two-day private visit to Manipur, party sources said Tuesday.
Sources said Jamir, a former governor of Maharashtra, called on Manipur governor Gurbachan Jagat immediately after arrival but it was not known what transpired in the meeting.
The visit of Jamir, a member of Congress Working Committee, was viewed with considerable interests among political observers as Centre and NSCN-IM are going to enter a crucial stage in peace talks for settlement of Naga issues in Nagaland.
The main demand of NSCN-IM was, said sources in political parties here, that of disintegration of Manipur to merge Naga-inhabited areas with neighbouring Nagaland but it was rejected by several organisations in Manipur.
Congress sources said Jamir would also meet Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh, also a senior Congress leader, before leaving for Nagaland today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam