Former Nagaland CM Jamir visits Manipur
Imphal: Former Nagaland Chief Minister and senior Congress leader S C Jamir has arrived here on a two-day private visit to Manipur, party sources said Tuesday.
Sources said Jamir, a former governor of Maharashtra, called on Manipur governor Gurbachan Jagat immediately after arrival but it was not known what transpired in the meeting.
The visit of Jamir, a member of Congress Working Committee, was viewed with considerable interests among political observers as Centre and NSCN-IM are going to enter a crucial stage in peace talks for settlement of Naga issues in Nagaland.
The main demand of NSCN-IM was, said sources in political parties here, that of disintegration of Manipur to merge Naga-inhabited areas with neighbouring Nagaland but it was rejected by several organisations in Manipur.
Congress sources said Jamir would also meet Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh, also a senior Congress leader, before leaving for Nagaland today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Wonder marathon boy Budhia Singh returns to Odisha, says he was on vacation
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver