Four Assam jute farmers killed in police firing
Guwahati: At least four farmers were killed and over a dozen injured in Assam on Monday after police opened fire to disperse a mob of jute cultivators who were enforcing a road blockade to demand better prices for their produce.
A police spokesperson said that about 500 jute farmers resorted to a highway blockade near Besimari in Darrang district, about 80 km north of Assam`s main city of Guwahati.
"The protestors pelted stones and attacked a security team that went to clear the road blockade. The situation turned violent and that prompted police to open fire," a senior police official said.
Four farmers were killed and about 15 people injured, including six policemen. "The injured were shifted to local hospitals with multiple injuries," the official said.
Witnesses said the protestors attacked security personnel using crude implements and that led the police to open fire.
"The situation is under control, but tense. Additional reinforcements have been rushed to the area," the official said.
A bumper jute harvest this year has added to the woes of farmers and in the absence of a market to sell their produce, the cultivators were demanding government support to sell their produce.
"We were demanding that the government should create some mechanism to help the farmers to sell our produce. But persistent demands failed, so we resorted to the road blockade," Abdul Hamid, a jute farmer, said.
"The police firing was uncalled for as they first tried to chase us by caning and that infuriated the protestors."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe