Four convicted for raping woman chilly trader
Imphal: Two personnel of India Reserve Battalion are among four persons convicted by a court here for raping a woman chilly trader.
Convicting the four persons-- IRB Havildar Chungkham Ibomcha (37), IRB Rifleman Khetrimayum Kenedy (37) and their friends, Salam Bijen (34) and Laikhuram Rojit (25) yesterday, District and Sessions judge Manipur west Salam Ibomcha said the court would announce the quantum of punishment on June 19.
While Rojit has been convicted under IPC Section 376 (rape), 367 (kidnapping), 324 (grievous hurt), 392(robbery) and 25 Arms Act, the other three were convicted under IPC section 376, 367 and 392.
Prosecution Director advocate Ngangom Tejkumar told reporters today that police pleaded with the court to record the statements of 90 civil and 22 police witnesses in the past six months.
However, the court recorded the statements of 24 witnesses, he said, adding, this case was the fastest trial of a rape case in the state.
The victim (42), mother of four children, who hails from Tamenglong district, was kidnapped and raped by the four at Irom Meijarao area in Imphal west district on the intervening night of March 21 and 22 last year, while she was coming to sell chilly grown in her fields.
Kakomlung Kamei, convenor of the joint action committee (JAC), formed by the local people to pursue the rape case for punishment of the accused, expressed satisfaction with the progress of the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat