Four convicted for raping woman chilly trader
Imphal: Two personnel of India Reserve Battalion are among four persons convicted by a court here for raping a woman chilly trader.
Convicting the four persons-- IRB Havildar Chungkham Ibomcha (37), IRB Rifleman Khetrimayum Kenedy (37) and their friends, Salam Bijen (34) and Laikhuram Rojit (25) yesterday, District and Sessions judge Manipur west Salam Ibomcha said the court would announce the quantum of punishment on June 19.
While Rojit has been convicted under IPC Section 376 (rape), 367 (kidnapping), 324 (grievous hurt), 392(robbery) and 25 Arms Act, the other three were convicted under IPC section 376, 367 and 392.
Prosecution Director advocate Ngangom Tejkumar told reporters today that police pleaded with the court to record the statements of 90 civil and 22 police witnesses in the past six months.
However, the court recorded the statements of 24 witnesses, he said, adding, this case was the fastest trial of a rape case in the state.
The victim (42), mother of four children, who hails from Tamenglong district, was kidnapped and raped by the four at Irom Meijarao area in Imphal west district on the intervening night of March 21 and 22 last year, while she was coming to sell chilly grown in her fields.
Kakomlung Kamei, convenor of the joint action committee (JAC), formed by the local people to pursue the rape case for punishment of the accused, expressed satisfaction with the progress of the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok