Four-day `night road blockade` in Meghalaya for ILP
Shillong: Meghalaya`s pro-ILP pressure groups on Sunday announced a four-day state-wide `night road blockade` from September 10 to intensify their stir till the Inner Line Permit (ILP) system was put in place to check influx into the state.
"We have decided to call for a four-day night blockade as a move to intensify our stir to protest against the state government`s failure to implement the ILP in the state," Khasi Student Union (KSU) vice president Fredrick Kharmawphlang told PTI here.
The 7 pm to 5 am night road-blockade would be effective in all the 11 districts of Meghalaya, he said.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the 10 pressure groups a day after the statewide office picketing, which has affected functioning of government machineries, concluded on Saturday last.
The agitation by the groups have started since Monday with a 12-hour bandh and three days night-road blockade after their talks with the government failed.
He said, "We will announce our next course of action after September 13. We will fight till our demand is met."
Appreciating the public for their support, he appealed to all the people, including government employees to continue to extend their support and cooperation on the issue.
The Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement has also called for a one day sit in demonstration on tomorrow to express opposition and to create awareness on the need to implement the ILP system in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt