Four dead, 25 injured in storm in Meghalaya
Shillong: At least four persons have died and over 25 sustained injuries when a cyclonic storm hit Meghalaya`s West Khasi Hills district leaving several people homeless in at least ten villages, officials said on Thursday.
"Four persons have died and 26 were hospitalised with three of them in serious condition due to the cyclonic storm which struck parts of West Khasi Hills area last night, about 40 minutes drive from the district headquarter Nongstoin," Deputy Commissioner S Kharlyngdoh told.
He said the cyclone struck at around 7.30 PM and had affected at least 130 families living in Domwahlang - Khliehmawlieh - Mawrapha areas and adjoining villages.
Among those who were injured in the cyclone, three were rushed to the state capital for better treatment, Kharlyngdoh said, adding while many were left homeless, the district administration has rushed in essential commodities like food, water and tarpaulin to the affected villages.
Field officers were on their jobs ascertaining the loss incurred in the disaster, he added.
- Housing demand may pick up in next six months: Knight Frank
- Bizarre: This London restaurant promotes nudism; you can eat your meals here fully naked!
- Tata Group mulling over plan to launch wearables for yoga practioners, factory workers
- JNU sends show-cause to Umar for movie screening last year
- A vitamin that can decelerate ageing process!